World Forge Client Death

Alright, so I basically scrapped the irrlicht world forge client idea. However not for the reasons you might think. I got to the point where I was ready to integrate with the eris & altas libraries only to realize they were GPL not LGPL. Which begs the question big deal your were going to open source it anyway right? Well yes however this prevents me from releasing the code under a license that allows developers to release closed source derivitives. That is a problem because people looking to make a serious game will want to add extra anti hack measures and other security features that are less than helpful if the source is released. So my conclusion is that the client software must be able to be closed source in a final product. I want the code to be open but my desire to reuse and share code does not exceed my common sense. So in short my project goals as it turns out do not mesh with those of world forge. Which is unfortunate because they seem to be the closest thing I have seen to a generic open source mmorpg development platform.


So have I given up on my dream of making an mmorpg? Nope I'm way to stubborn for that. Thus the launch of a new website where I can pool resources with other mmorpg creators.
http://sites.google.com/site/enigmarpg/

The purpose of this is the share resources so all of us have a greater chance of completing our dream games.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

VK9 - Milestone8 Completed

VK9 - Milestone13 Completed

VK9 - Milestone16 Completed