MMORPG Server

So I started working on the server for my mmorpg. I was going to document more on my website before I started on it but there are some cases where I work better when I coding. This isn't normally good practice but I have the basic game mechanics down and a few items. The quests and such should not be hard coded so that won't be that big of a deal.


I'm still thinking about how I want to handle statuses though. I'm talking about things like slowed, stunned, and frozen. The most streamlined way would be to put it in the attributes. But that only allows one value to be stored with each status. The problem is most statuses will have an effect strength and duration.

I'm thinking about doing away with the duration. Making stun for example fixed in length so it is more like a flinch. That will keep people from getting permanently stunned which is irritating.

Also things like slow would require a removal skill or item. This may not go over to well with some players but it makes support builds & healing items much more useful. I want a player to be able to go about any way with their build and still be useful in some circumstance.

This will be the hardest part of this game but it will also be what makes it worth playing. I want players to be able to go their own direction. In most games you have to follow a cookie cutter build to stay competitive and I don't want that at all. I think it takes the fun out of it. Your not progressing your character your grinding to complete a build you may not even like. You just do it because losing is even less fun.

That said there should be parts of the game that are challenging to everyone. And I want a mixer of builds to be used. I will be trying to place elements in the game that all but require a diversity in the characters doing a given mission.

Well that's all for now hopefully I will have a world you can run around in soon. Combat is a long way off but hey baby steps folks its a big project.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

VK9 - Milestone8 Completed

VK9 - Milestone13 Completed

VK9 - Milestone16 Completed