You win this round Microsoft

As I have posted many times before I have run into many issues resulting from the fact I have been using MinGW instead of Microsoft's Visual C/C++ compiler. It isn't that there is anything wrong with MinGW but rather that linking with libraries made using MSC is a pain if not impossible in some cases.

The main reason I was using MinGW is that it is the windows port of gcc and as such I was basically using the same compiler on every platform. That was nice because it took very little work to make everything compile on every platform. Once the development environment was setup and all dependencies were in place that is.

Well the straw that broke the camels back was when I couldn't compile after adding boost python to the server. That is a deal breaker I need it for NPC scripting. I have also been unable to add a few cool extras I wanted to because the libraries they require don't support MinGW on Windows.

So, I bit the bullet and started switching the client & server over to MSC for the windows build targets. It should be noted that this won't effect Linux, Mac, BSD, or Open Solaris users. Not directly anyway. I'm more likely to get lazy with my support of other platforms as it is likely to be more work that it used to be. I still plan on supporting all of them for 1.0.0 but until then no promises.

I guess all of this doesn't matter that much at this point anyway as the last test on Linux was less than perfect to put it lightly. Also Mac & BSD are still a no go. I really want those versions to work but I need more Knowledge of both operating systems to track down the issues.

My BSD install isn't quite correct and I think the OpenAL SDK on my Mac is out of date even though I pulled it from the OpenAL site resently. Also Some of those SDK installers throw stuff in weird locations so I might just be pointing to the wrong one. Ugh, I don't know why they have to make this stuff so difficult for developers.

One other bit of good news for any windows developers hacking away at my code I'm moving away from the custom directory structure. eg "C:\usr\" I'm no trying to use default locations and fix my headers acordingly. This should help make setup faster for new developers and make it easier for me when I reinstall my computer when Windows 7 comes out lol. That should be a barrel of laughs.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

VK9 - Milestone8 Completed

VK9 - Milestone13 Completed

VK9 - Milestone16 Completed