me vs c

I've been working a bit on Enigma over the holidays. I have however discovered a pretty nasty regression. The problem is that I have no idea what is causing it because whatever exception is getting thrown it isn't based on std::exception. So I have no information at all about what is causing the crash. Anyway the issues is basically that if you try to use any command the application dies instantly. What command you use doesn't matter. I'm pretty sure this was all working before I reinstalled my computer. So I'm wondering if it has to do with my build environment.

I also found out the enigma server has a dependency on the 7.1 Microsoft c runtime. For what reason I don't know. I found that out because I was clearing out unused libraries and I got an exception complaining about the that library being missing. So I threw it back in the folder and sure enough it was happy as a lark. That bothers me because I"m pretty sure everything is linking against 9.0. Sigh, I don't know why they have to make this stuff so fickle.

Anyway I also found out that I have to use the static runtime. I was trying to be a good little programmer and had switched to using dynamic linking for the runtime. However I guess it has been a little while since I did a full rebuild. Once I did a full rebuild it make the application crash as soon as I tried to connect to the server. After I realized this I switched back and it fixed that issue.

Basically what this all boils down to is that I have been struggling with the tools more than the code itself. That is really a shame in my opinion. At any rate if I can work out these issues there is some cool stuff coming down the pipe. Alright signing out Avery wants to play battle field heroes.


Popular posts from this blog

VK9 - Milestone13 Completed

VK9 - Milestone16 Completed

VK9 - Milestone23 Completed