If it builds ship it.

First of all I'll explain the reason for the title. I'm in the process of committing changes to the trunk that I have no reason to believe work. In all fairness it is data access code that isn't being called yet so it shouldn't break anything. However because I have put a pretty good amount of work into it I don't want it to be lost if my computer bites the dust.

Second bit of news I have made a change to the way I plan to handle the data access layer. From now on the data access will have two classes for each database. The wrapper class and the actual data access class. Having a wrapper class that deals with a single connection allows you to safely deal with the connection and execute commands without making the actual data access class super messy. Now the PostgreSQL data access is already super messy and I may or may not do some cleanup in the near future. I do plan to do the cleanup though I just don't know if I want to do it right now. At any rate the new coding method makes the data access much cleaner. There are more function calls involved so it is a bit slower but not slower than the wait times for a database response so really I don't think it is going to make much of a difference.

One final piece of news. I'm playing around with the idea of starting players classless. As I'm thinking about the character creation screen I'm thinking streamlining it would make it easier for new players to get into the game faster. I still plan to have classes and allow multi-classing and all that fun stuff but I have a little bit different idea of how I want to go about it. I'm thinking about a system where you train your levels in a class. By that I mean you select a class that you want to train in and while that class is selected to have level 1 (or more if you already have levels in it) access to the skills of that class. And while that class is selected you get exp toward that class level. You would then be able to switch the class you were training whenever you wanted but you would only have access to the abilities of the class you were training and classes you have full levels in.

The purpose of the above mentioned system is mainly to streamline the character creation process and make the whole game overall more new player friendly. With that system a new player can test drive a few different classes before deciding to level one class in particular or mix and match. This should also lower some of a new players worries about messing up their character, at least at lower levels.

Alright I have a test tomorrow and I have already stayed up way later than I should have coding so I'm gonna go sleep now. Night all and thanks for reading.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

VK9 - Milestone8 Completed

VK9 - Milestone13 Completed

VK9 - Milestone16 Completed