VK9 - Status Report

Since my last post I've continued to work through the features necessary to reach more milestones. One of the biggest missing features is shader support. All of the fixed function support implemented so far is handled with shaders. However, D3D9 allows programmers to specify custom vertex and pixel shaders as well. As with the rest of D3D9 the shader format is proprietary. It will take me some time to build out the pieces to parse and convert the shaders to SPIR-V (the bytecode format that Vulkan uses). I will be nose down on this so until I get it implemented status updates may be less frequent and will likely be in a status update format rather than milestone announcements. Once basic support is implemented I can start hitting milestones again. The reason for this temporary shift is that shader support has irreducible complexity. Unlike the other milestones I have to implement several features before I can verify progress with a sample. I have however gotten a few more samples to work that depend on fixed function prior to starting on shaders.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

VK9 - Milestone8 Completed

VK9 - Milestone13 Completed

VK9 - Milestone16 Completed